Insight’s VCE English SAC & Exam Guide is a practical and thorough resource designed to help students prepare for and achieve strong results in their Units 3 and 4 SACs and the end-of-year exam.
The guide explains the requirements and criteria for all assessment tasks. It presents practical strategies for preparing for SACs, with clear guidelines for developing original, well-structured responses for the Outcomes in both Areas of Study. The exam chapter offers advice on revising and on managing time in the exam, together with a discussion of the qualities of high-level exam responses and how to create such responses.
THE BOOK FEATURES:
- Strategies for understanding, analysing and comparing texts, and for developing original, well-supported interpretations
- Step-by-step guidelines and tips for planning and writing an effective analysis of media texts and presenting a point of view on a contemporary issue
- Assessor advice on the qualities of strong SAC and exam responses.
Changes to the VCE Study Design for English
In response to the disruption caused by COVID-19, the VCAA has made changes to Unit 4 for 2020 only. As a result, some of the information and advice contained in the VCE English SAC & Exam Guide is not relevant to the 2020 school year.
The following points summarise the changes to the English Study Design for 2020.
For Unit 3:
- Unit 3 will now contribute 30% to the overall study score for English.
- There are no changes to the assessment requirements or the number of marks allocated to each SAC.
For Unit 4:
- There are no changes to Outcome 1, which is still worth 60 marks.
- Outcome 2 now requires students to produce a written outline of a point of view, 300—500 words in length. It will show a planning process and demonstrate an understanding of argument and persuasive language.
- Outcome 2 will be worth 10 marks.
- Unit 4 will now contribute 20% to the overall study score for English.