To be released: Late 2021
Based on the award-winning Insight English reference series, Insight’s English Handbook 2nd edition is a comprehensive resource covering the key aspects of secondary English study.
Supporting students from Years 7 to 12, the book is divided into the following key areas:
- Grammar, spelling, punctuation and vocabulary
- Writing skills
- Literary analysis
- Media literacy.
CHANGES TO THE 2ND EDITION INCLUDE:
- An engaging and dynamic new design in a handy B5 format
- Updated examples and models
- More accessible definitions, explanations and guidelines
- New contemporary media texts on a range of issues
- A glossary of terms for quick reference.
The grammar, punctuation, spelling and vocabulary section provides succinct definitions and clear explanations of rules and concepts, with practical tips for remembering and applying them.
The writing skills section builds confidence and proficiency in writing and expands students’ repertoires. It presents practical models and strategies for producing high-level written pieces in a variety of styles and text types. There are also guidelines for planning and researching, as well as comprehensive sections on editing and style conventions.
The literary analysis section is a comprehensive guide to understanding and analysing literature. It covers the conventions and features of the main literary forms and genres, and includes clear explanations and definitions of literary terms and techniques.
The media literacy section builds proficiency in understanding, analysing and evaluating media texts. Highly readable and engaging, this section covers cartoons, still and moving images, advertisements, newspaper texts and internet texts, as well as the analysis of argument and persuasive language.
THE BOOK FEATURES:
- Straightforward and accessible explanations of essential English knowledge and skills
- Clear definitions, engaging examples and practical models
- Critical and creative thinking skills embedded throughout.