Past the Shallows – Insight Text Guide
Insight Text Guides take students into the deeper layers of meaning in a range of popular novels, plays, films, short-story collections and nonfiction texts. They are designed to develop detailed knowledge, deep understanding and genuine insight into each text.
The guides are written by practising English teachers, professional writers, reviewers and academics who are experts in their fields. Each guide presents a clear, comprehensive and accessible analysis.
There are over 150 titles in the Insight Text Guides series and new titles are published every year.
EACH TITLE FEATURES:
- An overview of the text for quick reference, including notes on the author’s life and work, a plot synopsis, a character map and brief character summaries
- Discussion of the historical, cultural and social contexts relevant to the text
- Close analysis of each chapter/scene/story, with chapter questions
- Detailed analysis of characters, themes and ideas
- Discussion of different responses to and interpretations of the text
- Guidelines on successful essay writing
- Essay topics, a sample analysis of a topic and a sample essay on the text.